29 October 2011

Voigtlander Nokton Classic 40mm f1.4

This is one of the reason I was so eager to get the NEX-5N. On discovery of bokeh lens, where it has a smaller f number, can be used on NEX-5N. The downside of it is the manual focusing.  The first discovery was the Noktor 50mm f0.95 lens. This lens is produce to mount directly to NEX series camera. From then onward I discovered more of third party lens can be fitted to NEX-5N with an adapter. Thanks to SooHK, who directed me to look at the Voigtlander brand.
  

Also there is this guy at KPLF 2011 event, shown me his lens on NEX3, and he was kind enough to walked me through on how the lens is easy to use with the NEX series camera.


After some time spend on surfing the net and some shopping. Then decided to get me one of it. 3 items by the same brand was put into my basket. The lens 40mm at f1.4, the lens hood and the most important part the adapter that allow the lens to sit on the camera. I was adviced to get the adapter by voigtlander, as it is connecting the lens and the camera tightly.


The lens is smaller compared to many lens I have come across. It is heavy, at 290 gram (lens, lens hood and adapter), 55 gram heavier than 18-55mm NEX lens. 2 rings is given, one for the apperture and the other for focusing.


As long as I have used camera, this is the first time I am taking photo through manual focusing, which I find not easy. Even with the peak focusing feature in NEX-5N, I might not get the focus at the right place. That is about 20 percent of the the shots with this lens will be out of focus. The next resolve, is using the manual focus assist. Where the NEX-5N will enlarged the focusing point, where I can ensure the focusing point is sharp enough for a shot.

It is fun to use, the weight is something I love about. And it is a classic designed. And it is still being produced. The best part, it is affordable for me. And definitely a collection.

Other lens that are similar to this, requires me to pay 6 times more. As this lens allow me to have less depth in my photos, which makes me want to use it at all time in street photography. But it is not a wide enough for some shot. Hmm... I guess I will have to wait for my pocket to fill up and get a wide angle with smaller f stop. Have not seen any below f2.

One more disadvantage of this lens, the closes distance from subject is 70cm away. I get annoyed everytime I want to take a photo of food. For potrait, the distance is okay.

Now I wish I had the black color NEX-5N...

2 comments:

golfer said...

How much is this?

PhotoCrazy said...

2.1K